Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 5

Sorry, I'm slow to post Day 5 instructions, but I'm sure by now you know what to do!

Today mine had this frothy layer on the top and kind of a strange smell. It is hard to describe. Not necessarily a bad smell, but not that yummy yeasty smell either. Does that make sense? But we will get there! Keep going.


So this is mine after I finished with it today. It hasn't appeared to be rising very much so I went ahead and added todays mixture (1/2 c whole wheat flour and 1/2c filtered water) into my quart jar without removing any. Tomorrow I will have to take some out. I have heard that when you have to remove some it is okay to go ahead and use it in some recipes? I'll try to research this a little more before the next post!

*On a side note, the soupier your starter is, the more sour it will taste. My family likes our not quite so sour, so tomorrow I will begin to thicken it up a little by feeding it 1/2 c flour and only 1/4 c water.



No comments: