Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Sourdough Journey: Day 1

The next step on my journey of feeding my family whole/real foods is sourdough. Not only for bread loaves, but also for pizza dough, pancakes and whatever else I can discover along the way.

So why don't you join me in my first attempt (hopefully there won't be a need for a second) at making a homemade sourdough starter? I will be making it with simply flour and water and will be completely dependent on naturally occurring or "wild" yeast and bacteria.

Day 1 is quick and easy.

Here is what I am using...

*1 quart glass jar
*1 cup whole wheat, organic flour
*1 cup filtered water
*1 piece of cheesecloth (I bought mine at Williams Sonoma, but supposedly you can find it at Walmart and hardware stores in the paint department. Apparently, more people use it to strain their paint than to make cheese?)


Step 1
Pour flour in jar.



Step 2
Pour in filtered water.


Step 3
Mix with wooden spoon or whisk until free from clumps.



Step 4
Cover with cheesecloth and allow it to sit on your counter overnight or up to one day.



That is it for Day 1. Check back tomorrow for Day 2 instructions.


No comments: